Melbourne, the second-largest city in Australia, serves as the state capital of Victoria. The city is known as “Australia’s Cultural Capital” since it is home to various museums and art galleries. The friendliness, helpfulness, and fun-loving nature of Melburnians are well-known. Melbourne ranks as the second safest city in Australia and among the safest cities in the world to travel and stay in in 2022.
Why Is Melbourne One Of The Safest Cities In The World 2022?
Melbourne’s public transportation is generally safe; however, the emptiness of the stations on the outskirts of the city might make them feel hazardous. To keep its citizens secure, the City of Melbourne has put in place a number of policies and plans. Although visitors report feeling safe and welcomed in the city, it is nonetheless advised that they stay in places where security cameras have been erected.
Low Risk Of Mugging
Melbourne is a highly safe city to travel to, thus mugging threats are not frequent. However, there are still some places where it is possible to be mugged, particularly at night.
Low Terrorist Threat
Melbourne is thought to be a highly safe city in terms of terrorism, with terrorist threats being rare.
Bartenders who overcharge you and retain the difference, taxi drivers who overpay, and individuals who volunteer to help you with your luggage just to take it from you and flee with it are some common scams in Melbourne.
Safe For Female Travelers In Melbourne
Melbourne and Australia, in general, are regarded as safe places for female travelers. However, a woman may find it frightening to travel alone around Melbourne at night and should avoid doing so.
Tips For Staying Safe In Melbourne
One of the most livable cities in the world and the safest city in Australia is frequently rated as Melbourne. But there are risks, particularly at night, much like in most big cities. Here are some safe tips to stay in Melbourne.
On The Street
- At night, stay away from parks, alleys, and dimly lighted areas.
- Whenever possible, take a companion while you travel.
- Before you go, double-check your directions.
- When crossing the street, be careful to look both ways before you step.
- Use pedestrian crossings or traffic signals wherever possible, and stay off the kerb.
- Never ride in a vehicle with a stranger.
- Avoid driving with someone who has just consumed alcohol.
- Wear brightly colored clothing when riding or walking at night so that vehicles can see you.
- You are free to speak to police officers on the street or enter a police station whenever you choose.
On Public Transport
- When riding a rail, tram, or bus, sit up front or in the first carriage to be close to the driver, and only use the emergency button if absolutely required.
- Never cross railroad crossings when the barriers are down, or the lights are flashing.
In A Public Place
- When using an ATM, keep your eyes open and shield your hand when entering your PIN.
- Never freely divulge your phone number or other sensitive information.
- Always purchase your own beverages, particularly in a bar or pub.
- Never go with more money than $100.
- For fire, police, or an ambulance in an emergency, dial 000 for a free call from any phone, any time of day.
Top 10 Safest Cities In The World In 2022
- Hong Kong